COVID-19 Information

City Response

The City of Sterling is continuing to serve our community through the effects of the COVID-19 coronavirus spread. While we are committed to remaining operational, we are implementing changes to some operations to help do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Our first responders are implementing new precautions and procedures for handling medical calls, which will include questions from 911 telecommunicators. The Police Department will be taking more reports over the phone rather than in-person. Unfortunately, many of our most important services in the public safety realm involve unavoidable close contact.

City Hall is open to the public. However, Face Coverings are required and you are asked to keep 6 ft apart from others while at City Hall.  Non-medical masks, bandanas, scarves, and cloth masks can be used.  This temporary change is to assist in slowing the spread of COVID-19, protect our vulnerable populations and ease the burden on our healthcare workers and healthcare system.  Thank you for your understanding and patience. 

Utility Bills 

Payments can be made in person at City Hall or the green drop box on 3rd Street, immediately north of the Coliseum. Learn more about how you can pay online or enroll in an auto-payment plan by visiting the Utility Billing page. You may also call 815-632-6632 to pay by credit card over the phone.


Fines for local ordinance violations may be paid in person or  online as well by following the instructions on the citation.

Licenses & Permits

License applications are available online on the Licenses page or can be picked from City Hall. For questions or payment, for contractor licenses please call 815-632-6624. For all other licenses call 815-632-6630.

Permit applications are available from our Building and Zoning Department or online by visiting the Building and Construction Permits page. Permit fees may be paid in person, via the drop box or by phone. Call 815-632-6624 for more information.

Birth / Death Records

Records may be obtained in person. Visit the Birth and Death Certificates page for forms and information on fees.

Police Records

Police records can be obtained in person Please call 815-632-6642 to make an appointment to get a copy of a police record.