Code Enforcement provides for permitting and inspections for code compliance in the City. The City monitors code compliance to ensure quality construction of all structures to protect the safety, health, property value and general welfare of its citizens.
The department also monitors properties for maintenance issues that affect neighboring property values or safety under the International Property Maintenance Code.
City Ordinances and Codes Enforced.
In monitoring for code compliance, the City performs the following inspections:
- Property Maintenance
The following codes are enforced in the City of Sterling:
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Residence Code for one and two family dwellings
- 2014 National Electric Code with amendments
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2014 Illinois State Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Fire Prevention Code
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2015 Fuel Gas Code
- 2015 International Existing Building Code
- Illinois Accessibility Code (most recent version)