The GSDC acts as the economic development team for the City. They work closely with the City of Sterling, the Sauk Valley Area Chamber of Commerce, and other local organizations to provide businesses all the resources and information needed to develop the area.
They assist with:
- Transportation studies
- Site selection
- Business relocation
- Utility cost analysis
- Business start-up
- Workforce analysis and training/development resources
- Grant and incentive programs
- Quality of life data
The Chamber’s mission is to enhance the economic climate and the quality of life in the Sauk Valley Area. Nearly 400 members from all sectors of the community work through the Chamber to help the Sauk Valley Area continue to grow and thrive. The Chamber works to provide opportunities and events for members to connect and build relationships.
The Small Business Development Center at Sauk Valley Community College offers no-cost advising to individuals and businesses who are seeking professional guidance in the field of business feasibility, business start-up, business growth, and business exit planning. In addition to professional advising, the SBDC at Sauk Valley Community College offers professional training and workshops with topics ranging from those relevant to startups to those needed by experienced business professionals.
Main Street unites individuals, organizations, businesses, and local government to support a revitalized, historic downtown to develop, maintain and promote an attractive and vital downtown district. The goal is to create a sense of place, vitality, ownership activity in the core of the community. They do this through a number of events and promotions.
The Whiteside County Economic Development Department promotes the wider area and as importantly, coordinates the administration of the area’s Enterprise Zone, offering tax incentives for development or redevelopment within the zone.
- Where can I find information on available locations for my business?
- Where can I find information on expanding my business?
- What should a business owner do before signing a lease or purchasing property?
- How do I find out whether my business is a permitted use?
- If I want to make changes to the interior of the building, what do I do?
- Where can I find money or other financial assistance for my business?
- How do I find out whether my existing building meets safety and fire code requirements?
- I would like additional signage to promote my business. How do I find out what type of signage is permitted?
- Who can help me promote my business?
- Am I allowed to hold outdoor promotional events and activities?